Hughes was innovated in Lowestoft, Suffolk in 1921 by Frank Hughes who trained as an electrical mastermind after having served in the Great War. Firstly the company rewound artificial electrical motors for Lowestoft's fishing line but in 1928 Frank bought his first shop. Then he erected and vended radios and the family literally lived over the shop for numerous times. The business was incorporated in 1946 but the ensuing time Frank passed away, leaving his children Peter, Phyllis and Jim to take over the operation of the company. To this day, nearly one hundred times on, Hughes remains a true family business with the third generation under Robert and Jeremy Hughes now at the helm.